Isopropyl Methylphenol (IPMP) is an isomer of thymol (primary component of volatile oil from labiate plants), which has been used for centuries as folk medicine. In 1953, a method for industrial manufacturing of Isopropyl Methylphenol was developed, and its properties including bactericidal and antioxidant actions have been studied since. It is widely used, cosmetics and oral care applications.
• It is almost tasteless and odorless. It has mild astringency which is suitable for cosmetic application
• It is non irritating and does not induce skin allergies at 2% concentration
• It acts uniformly on various bacterial, yeast, mold and some viral species
• It absorbs ultraviolet rays between wavelengths of 250-300 nm (peak absorption wavelength 279 nm) and shows antioxidant action
• It is highly stable and retains its properties over an extended period of time
• It is a highly safe compound when used in non-medical products and cosmetics