Ceramide 10% from Rice Bran
Ceramide contains glycosphingolipids which play a role in immune and inflammatory response. Ceramides are found in the skin and play an important role in maintaining the barrier function and homeostasis of the skin. Ceramides are found to be reduced in the stratum corneum (outermost layer of the skin) of atopic dermatitis, dry skin, and aged persons. Low levels of Ceramide my contribute to wrinkles and dry skin.
Features & Benefits
- Ceramides help hold skin together by forming a protective layer that limits moisture loss and protects against visible damage.
- The beneficial effects of phytoceramides-based oral dietary supplements for skin hydration and skin barrier reinforcement have been indicated in several studies involving animal models as well as human subjects.
- Dietary Supplements – Beauty from Within
- Personal Cosmetic Formulas – topical and oral
Mechanism of Action
Ceramide contains glycosphingolipids which play a role in immune and inflammatory response.
- Several clinical trials have established that Ceramide has a moisturizing effect. Ceramide is absorbed by the digestive system and carried to the stratum corneum by blood circulates, thus improving the barrier and water-holding function of the skin. In a study conducted by Imokawa et al., it was confirmed that topical applications of Ceramides improved atopic dry skin conditions. It was also reported that Ceramides may also increase the anti-allergy efficacy of skin, inhibit free radical attack, and increases the inhibitory effect on elastase, collagenase, and tyrosinase. This demonstrates Ceramide’s efficacy in slowing skin aging and preventing the stress of skin.
- A study conducted on melanogenesis using cultured B16 melanoma cells in vitro showed that Ceramide is stronger than Ascorbic Acid, Arbutin, and Ellagic Acid, it may promote a skin lightening effect.
Formulating with Ceramide
Ceramide can be formulated into health and beauty products such as serums, creams and lotions. It can also be used in capsules and tablets as a dietary supplement.