Betaine Anhydrous, Natural Sugar Beet Extract
Betaine anhydrous is a naturally occurring amino acid derivative found in most plants and animals; it is an osmolyte that protects against dehydration and stress associated with cell water loss. Betaine anhydrous is also a methyl donor, which means it is involved in the methionine pathway and supports lower blood homocysteine levels. Our Betaine anhydrous is derived from Non-GMO sugar beets, Beta vulgaris, using a water extraction method.
Features & Benefits
- Pre-workout – enhances muscle mass, reduces soreness and fatigue
- Supports hydration due to its osmolyte functionality
- Nootropic (brain health) – enhances the production of SAMe in the body – produces serotonin and dopamine
- Protects cells, proteins, and enzymes from environmental stress
- Offers excellent moisturizing properties while reducing stickiness in personal care products
- May help to reduce irritation while leaving the skin and hair feeling soft and smooth
- Possesses taste-masking properties which minimize off-notes caused by vitamins, minerals and other supplements when added to sports nutrition beverages.
- Extends the shelf life of foods by acting as a humectant.
- Dietary Supplements
- Functional Foods & Beverages
- Candies & Gummies
- Cosmetic Formulations
Clinical & Scientific Studies
- Sports performance – increases squat repetitions with 2.5g Betaine anhydrous per day; increases total repetitions and volume load for bench press with 2.5g per day
- Hydration – improves hydration and reduces lactic acid build-up with 5g per day
- Reduces plasma homocysteine levels
Mechanism of Action
- Osmolyte – maintains cell volume, protects cells, and supports hydration
- Methyl donor – provides three methyl groups in the methionine cycle
Formulating with Betaine
Betaine is highly soluble and stable in water. As a sports performance ingredient, formulate at 2.5 g per day dose. As a hydration ingredient, formulate at 5 g per day dose.
Safety & Regulatory
There have been no adverse reports in the FDA CAERS database. Betaine anhydrous is extracted from non-GMO beets. It is FEMA GRAS for use as a natural flavor. It is approved for use in foods in Japan and Korea.