Digestible Elderberry Immune Support with Flavonoid Antioxidants
Eldermune™ is an innovative new NutriScience product containing elderberry juice concentrate combined with Sunfiber® (partially hydrolyzed guar fiber). This combination of elderberry for immune support and Sunfiber®, a prebiotic, soluble, dietary fiber, has synergistic effects on digestibility to enhance the absorption of nutrients.
Eldermune™ is available in both conventional and Certified Organic grades.
Black Elderberry has been studied for its antibacterial and antiviral activity; it was found to be active against human pathogenic bacteria as well as influenza viruses1. The Cleveland Clinic has long recommended elderberry for colds and flu2.
Eldermune™ is labeled as a dietary supplement for immune support.
Eldermune™ takes the concept of a high potency elderberry concentrate to the next level by using a patented, low temperature drying process and adding back in the important fiber component. Eldermune™ is processed in a way that helps it to overcome some common challenges with juice powders. Juice concentrate powders are spray dried on maltodextrin; the spray drying process itself is hot, which causes the loss of activity in some of the key antioxidants –polyphenols and anthocyanins, and Vitamin C – which are fundamental to elderberry’s potency. During the juicing process, the fiber from the elderberry fruit is removed. Therefore, the juice concentrate is devoid of this important component.
Eldermune™ utilizes a unique and different drying process3 to create a combination powder of elderberry juice concentrate and Sunfiber®, rather than using maltodextrin. The Sunfiber® prebiotic fiber works synergistically with the elderberry to support digestion and the unique processing helps to maintain higher levels of key antioxidants.
The recommended dose for Eldermune™ is 100 – 1,000 mg / serving. The product can be formulated into capsules for immune support between 100 and 500 mg. Eldermune™ works well in a syrup to compete against the leading brands at a dose of 1,000 mg.
Eldermune™ is part of a portfolio of other strong immune support ingredients offered by NutriScience, which include BGF-Immune®, InoPhyte®, and Benexia® ALA Chia Oil.
In the Press:
(1.) Reference 1
(2.) Reference 2
(3.) Reference 3
- Food & Beverage
- Immune Support
Features & Benefits:
- Eldermune™ is an immune support product made from elderberry juice concentrate and Sunfiber® (partially hydrolyzed guar fiber).
- It contains standardized levels of polyphenols to support immune health. It is a solvent-free concentrate which contains all the elderberry components including polyphenols, anthocyanins and Vitamin C, and is not an extract which contains limited elderberry actives.
- Sunfiber®, a prebiotic fiber, helps replace the natural elderberry fiber lost during the juicing process. Other elderberry juice concentrates are devoid of fiber.
- The elderberries in Eldermune™ are Tru-ID® verified as authentic. Eldermune™ is free of purple dyes, unlike some adulterated products on the market.
- Eldermune™ does not contain maltodextrin, which is commonly used in spray-dried elderberry juice concentrate powders. Instead it is fortified with Sunfiber®, a functional fiber with numerous studied benefits.
- The synergistic combination of Elderberry and Sunfiber® improves digestibility and helps with the absorption of the elderberry nutrients. This product provides the prebiotic benefits of Sunfiber®.
- The elderberry concentrate has a high concentration ratio of 65:1 (65 grams of pure elderberry fruit makes 1 gram of elderberry concentrate).
- Eldermune™ is made using an exclusive drying process utilizing a patented, infrared, low temperature drying technology that helps to preserve key antioxidants –polyphenols, anthocyanins and Vitamin C.
- Eldermune™ is standardized to \ polyphenols (as measured by gallic acid GA) using the AOAC method. Anthocyanins (as measured by 3-O-glucoside C3OG) are tested by the USP HPLC method and reported. After sufficient commercial lot testing, anthocyanin levels will be standardized and specified. Anthocyanins are not tested by the more commonly used UV or other method which can exaggerate the results.
- In tests of Eldermune™ anthocyanin and polyphenol content versus other capsule products, Eldermune™ contains more C3OG and GA. This is due to the low temperature drying process which retains much more of these sensitive active components.
- The elderberry concentrate to Sunfiber® ratio in Eldermune® is 65:34, with 1% silicon dioxide added as a flow agent.
- Eldermune™ has been tested to be free of Prunacin and Holocacin by HPLC-MS/MS. These compounds are metabolites of cyanide, which could be present if the elderberry is not properly processed.
- It is an extremely free flowing powder with low water activity for ease in processing tablets, capsules, sachets, gummies, etc. Eldermune®’s low water activity makes it suitable for combining with some probiotics.
- Eldermune™ readily dissolves in water to form a palatable, slightly sweet, purple solution.
- Eldermune™ is available in Certified Organic and conventional forms.
- Eldermune™ can be combined with BGF-Immune®, InoPhyte®, or probiotics to offer other unique immune health products. Eldermune™ also works well together with its sister complex SunCran®, also supplied by NutriScience, which is a combination of cranberry and Sunfiber®, made using the same low temperature drying process. The combination of Eldermune™ and SunCran® is ideal for supporting women’s health and urinary tract health – combining the urinary tract support of cranberry, with the immune support of elderberry.